EUROPEAN LIFELONG LEARNING PROGRAMME
VISA REMINDER: If you require a visa in order to undertake a short course of study in the UK, it is absolutely essential that you obtain a Student Visitor Visas (6 months) and not a Business Visa.
All NILE’s teacher development courses are eligible for EU Comenius or Grundtvig funding.
Who is eligible?
If you are a European Union national you may apply for a Comenius or Grundtvig grant, as part of the Lifelong Learning Programme, if you are one of the following:
- A practising language teacher
- A teacher re-training in foreign language teaching
- A teacher teaching a subject through the medium of English
- A teacher returning after a career break
- A language trainer, inspector or adviser
What financial support is on offer?
The grant awarded will be calculated to help cover:
- Course fees
- Travel costs to and from the country where the course is organised
- Subsistence costs
- Preparation costs (including language preparation)
Grants are available to enable you to participate in courses lasting between one and six weeks, which take place in a country where the target language is spoken and taught.
To find out more about the European Lifelong Learning Programme and funding possibilities, click here or contact your National Agency for full details. They should also be able to tell you about your country's national priorites for learning. 'Comenius at a glance' details can be found here
Institutions or organisations involved in vocational education and training can apply for Leonardo funding. Contact your National Agency.
Applying for Comenius/Grundtvig funding - a step-by-step guide:
- Choose the NILE course you wish to take.
- Check availability and make a reservation by completing the pre-registration form and sending it to our Registrar via email, firstname.lastname@example.org, post or fax.The Registrar will supply you with a pre-registration letter, course-description and further documentation you will need for your funding application.
- Contact your National Agency to obtain a Comenius/Grundtvig application pack. The National Agency can also offer information about application deadlines, which may differ slightly from country to country.
- Submit your completed Comenius/Grundtvig application form to your National Agency by the closing date. Ensure that you include :
- As soon as you receive notification that your National Agency has approved your funding application, contact the Registrar at NILE who will confirm your place on the course and send you pre-course information and payment details.
- Should your application for funding not be successful, please contact the Registrar to cancel your course.
Teachers are generally notified whether their application has been successful or not at least 6 weeks before the course start date.
NILE SCHOLARSHIP SUPPORT
In recognition of the fact that teachers from some EU countries have difficulty obtaining full funding for NILE courses, NILE has decided to set up a scholarship support scheme in relation to course fees. If you are from one of the following countries, you may be eligible for support.
- Czech Republic
We may consider requests from additional countries in very exceptional circumstances.
If you would like to be considered for a scholarship please contact us here and provide contact details, including your name and address and a telephone number, the institution you work for and your approximate annual salary, and we will indicate what we can offer you. All details will be kept strictly confidential.
This must be done at the time of Pre-registration